Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to the CollectiveAccess support forum! Here the developers and community answer questions related to use of the software. Please include the following information in every new issue posted here:

1. Version of the software that is used, along with browser and version

2. If the issue pertains to Providence, Pawtucket or both

3. What steps you’ve taken to try to resolve the issue

4. Screenshots demonstrating the issue

5. The relevant sections of your installation profile or configuration including the codes and settings defined for your local elements.

If your question pertains to data import or export, please also include:

1. Data sample

2. Your mapping

Answers may be delayed for posts that do not include sufficient information.

Image Thumbnails Not Showing

edited October 7 in Troubleshooting
Hi -

I am learning the software on a local Centos 6 server on a virtual host, installed in a subdirectory, "providence" in the Apache public document folder.  Images for new records upload fine and the originals are downloadable, but the thumbnails remain blank. Moreover choosing to download a reduced size, the image resizing fails delivering a file with a processing error message.  

In troubleshooting, I noticed that the software is placing the uploaded .jpgs to media/collectiveaccess/images/0 with restrictive permissions so that even the Apache user apache doesn't have rwx capability so permission issues might be a factor?

-rw-rw-r--. 1 apache apache 250487 Oct  1 18:34 38616_ca_object_representations_media_23_original.jpg

Imagemagic is working fine on the command line.

Any guidance would be gratefully accepted! Thanks!

p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }

Comments

• Hello,

Check your system configuration to be sure that imagemagick is properly set up and that apache does have the correct permissions. Go to Manage > Administration > Configuration Check to see how everything is configured. It will flag either of these issues.

Once you've done that and resolved any issues that appear there you can reprocess the media you uploaded using the caUtils function reprocess-media.

-Mike

• edited October 7
    Hi Mike,

Thanks so much for your response.   I am still having a heck of a time with the thumbnails defaulting to the generic icon.

I am suspecting a server config problem.  I am on a virtual host so am wondering if this is messing up my setup.php default settings?  I seemingly have tried every variation trying to make it work.  How are the image URLs built, the structure when things are going right? Since the failure goes right to the generic icon, there doesn't seem to leave any diagnosable trace of what is going wrong.  My ImageMagick seems to work fine via PECL Gmagick PHP extension in Config check.  My initial permission theory seems to be wrong since manually substituting an actual image path to the upload directory in Google Developer Tools, Inspect causes a beautiful thumbnail to appear, all properly sized and everything...
  • Update: For those struggling with the same issue - resolved!  Double checked my GraphicsMagick installation which proved to be the culprit.  I reinstalled it from source using the option to enable jpeg processing which the previous install did not have strangely, ./configure --enable-shared --with-jpeg.  Then made sure the path to the gm executable in my setup (Centos 6) was set properly in app/conf/external_applications.conf.  Works great now!