Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to the CollectiveAccess support forum! Here the developers and community answer questions related to use of the software. Please include the following information in every new issue posted here:

1. Version of the software that is used, along with browser and version

2. If the issue pertains to Providence, Pawtucket or both

3. What steps you’ve taken to try to resolve the issue

4. Screenshots demonstrating the issue

5. The relevant sections of your installation profile or configuration including the codes and settings defined for your local elements.

If your question pertains to data import or export, please also include:

1. Data sample

2. Your mapping

Answers may be delayed for posts that do not include sufficient information.

Searching for IDNOs

How do I configure search_indexing.conf and search.conf in Providence 1.7.5 to find objects by only a part of their idno?

Our idnos are built like this: the first part is always the same, ef_cc_ and the second part is a seven-figure number like 0011040 - so the whole idno would be 

When I search for 11040 however, nothing is found. So we always have to input something the excact idno or something like ef_cc_11040 (without the leading zeros) to find the object. Is it somehow possible to adapt search indexing?

• Providence allows for wildcard searching using the * symbol at the end of the search term. For more information, look at the wiki page on Search Syntax
  • hi sjenson, I’m aware that you can use a wildcard operator, but what I’m looking for is to drop the first part of the objects ID (in my example the ef_cc_ part) – searching for *11040 does defenitively not return the object with the ID ef_cc_0011040.
  • What you could do is configure you identifier scheme in multipart_id_numbers.conf to use "_" as the separator. Then reindex. So long as the idno field is set in search_indexing.conf with INDEX_AS_IDNO (which is the default), the identifier will be indexed as a series of stubs. Your example "ef_cc_11040" would be indexed as:

and any of those would find the object with ef_cc_11040

Adding an indexing option to index it as parts ("ef", "cc", "11040") and/or to let you specify the separator in indexing instead of in multipart_id_numbering.conf would be easy to add, but no one has asked for it to date. If that's what you want make a JIRA for it. 
  • edited January 18
    Hi Seth, thanks for your answer! I changed the seperator to _ like this in the multipart_id_numbering.conf and after that rebuild the search index:

separator = _,

Now the field to enter our IDNO looks as follows:

Thats new and it looks as if the separator has stuck.

But when I search for "0011040" it returns nothing:

Did I miss soemthing? Thanks!

• Yeah, as I mentioned earlier it doesn't index the parts freestanding. Try searching on these:

To make it find it with just 0011040 will require some changes to the indexing code. If you need them (sounds like you do...) make a JIRA for it. 
  • Okay thanks! I missed that, will be making a JIRA next week! Thank you!