Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to the CollectiveAccess support forum! Here the developers and community answer questions related to use of the software. Please include the following information in every new issue posted here:

1. Version of the software that is used, along with browser and version

2. If the issue pertains to Providence, Pawtucket or both

3. What steps you’ve taken to try to resolve the issue

4. Screenshots demonstrating the issue

5. The relevant sections of your installation profile or configuration including the codes and settings defined for your local elements.

If your question pertains to data import or export, please also include:

1. Data sample

2. Your mapping

Answers may be delayed for posts that do not include sufficient information.

Optimizations

I find that when I have several widgets (change history, recent objects, counts, etc) in my dashboard, load times become quite abysmal. I would imagine this is due to the fact that these widgets do not cache results, and it is performing SQL searches each time the page is hit.

My two questions:

1) Will implementing SOLR or ElasticSearch impact widget performance, or are they always SQL?
2) Are there any essential and basic optimizations you recommend with a new installation, aside from increasing memory available to PHP?

Comments

• SOLR or Elastic Search won't make a difference as it's all SQL in there.
    What are the load times? Any idea which widget is causing the slow down?
  • I did notice that when I had the lolcat widget on the Dashboard and our server was behind a proxy the page load was delayed as the request had to time out before the rest of the page would load. I have just discovered the new proxy settings but I have not tried them with that widget.
  • We need to start loading the widgets via Ajax to prevent blocking like this. We also need to start caching widget output somewhat aggressively, and rewrite the "recent changes" widget to behave. Any volunteers? :-)
  • For the record - I had forgotten to turn menu bar caching back on ;)

+1 for Ajax && caching in any case
  • So you're voting in favor of making things faster?