Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to the CollectiveAccess support forum! Here the developers and community answer questions related to use of the software. Please include the following information in every new issue posted here:

1. Version of the software that is used, along with browser and version

2. If the issue pertains to Providence, Pawtucket or both

3. What steps you’ve taken to try to resolve the issue

4. Screenshots demonstrating the issue

5. The relevant sections of your installation profile or configuration including the codes and settings defined for your local elements.

If your question pertains to data import or export, please also include:

1. Data sample

2. Your mapping

Answers may be delayed for posts that do not include sufficient information.

Special Characters in XML Attributes

edited May 2014 in Troubleshooting
So I realize this is sort of an XML question and not CA, but every solution provided online doesn't work in CA, so let me try to explain.

I am trying to have an attribute in my XML output file that looks like this...

<dc:contributor>

However, I am having problems getting the : to work out right. For example, if I type it in as "dc:contributor" into the Element column in my XML export file, then when I get my exported file it is only listed as "contributor". The dc: has been cut off.
After looking around I found the list of UTF-8 codes to get special characters. So now in my Element column I have dc&#58contributor . This works, as I can see it converted the code of &#58 into a : via the error code that comes up when attempting to export, which states the following...

Export failed: Invalid XML element name 'dc:contributor'

So from what I can gather the special character code is working, but CA doesn't like the colon in the attribute. Or is there another explanation for this? Is there a way around this to make it work?

Thanks in advance.

Comments