Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to the CollectiveAccess support forum! Here the developers and community answer questions related to use of the software. Please include the following information in every new issue posted here:

1. Version of the software that is used, along with browser and version

2. If the issue pertains to Providence, Pawtucket or both

3. What steps you’ve taken to try to resolve the issue

4. Screenshots demonstrating the issue

5. The relevant sections of your installation profile or configuration including the codes and settings defined for your local elements.

If your question pertains to data import or export, please also include:

1. Data sample

2. Your mapping

Answers may be delayed for posts that do not include sufficient information.

Default measurement units

I know it is obligatory to enter units in measurements, but I wonder if it would be possible to modify input behaviour in such way, that when only a number is entered a default measurement unit would be added automatically? For instance in my museum "cm" is such a default unit. Not a big thing, but saves a few keystrokes.

Comments

• Someone else asked us to do this recently. It wouldn't be a big deal to implement but we don't think it's a good idea. With measurements people should enter precisely what they mean.

That being said, we still might end up doing it soon-ish. But it's not possible right now, at least not for Weight and Length. It works for Currency values though!
  • edited June 2015
    Hi Stefan,

As you mentioned about currencies, I've a question about currency unit. Our museum records purchase prices in different currencies (i.e. CAD, US, AUD etc) for different objects. Now with the `currency` datatype, there's always a possibility that this field can get messy if a data entry operator mistypes the currency (e.g. 'CAC' instead of 'CAD'  for example). 

Is there any way to enforce validation against currency units? Also, is it a good idea recording prices using different currency units (i.e. is it a good practice if we use `doesNotTakeLocale` parameter for currency)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• edited June 2015
    We could certainly add validation for currency codes. While there is a standard (ISO-4217) for these codes it didn't seem to be consistently applied in the field so we decided to leave it open. If you feel this is a terrible idea please file an issue for it on JIRA.

Cataloguing multiple values with locales would only make sense if you were trying to track the value of something in multiple currencies at a specific point in time. For example, if you sold an artwork in dollars and the immediately converted it to Euros you might want to track both with the locale where they were executed. CA can automatically convert currency values using current exchange rates obtained from the feed at http://www.ecb.europa.eu/stats/eurofxref/eurofxref-daily.xml. If you just need to display equivalence in other currencies at any given time this is the way to go. 

There's actually a plugin interface for currency conversions for those inclined to implement their own conversion methods. Perfect for those who have CollectiveAccess sitting next to their Bloomberg terminal.

seth
  • Seth, actually, what do I need to set to let CA working with multiple currencies?
  • There's nothing to configure. The "currency" metadata element can accept quantities prefixed with a currency specifier. These are three letter codes such as USD, EUR, HKD, etc. The following "short" specifiers are also allowed: $ (USD), £ (GBP), € (EUR) and ¥ (JPY)