Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to the CollectiveAccess support forum! Here the developers and community answer questions related to use of the software. Please include the following information in every new issue posted here:

1. Version of the software that is used, along with browser and version

2. If the issue pertains to Providence, Pawtucket or both

3. What steps you’ve taken to try to resolve the issue

4. Screenshots demonstrating the issue

5. The relevant sections of your installation profile or configuration including the codes and settings defined for your local elements.

If your question pertains to data import or export, please also include:

1. Data sample

2. Your mapping

Answers may be delayed for posts that do not include sufficient information.

Default List Values

Hello,

I'm stuck on something that seems like it should be easy.  I'm have a lot of data entry to do and I wanted to set the accession field (object_status_id) to default to 'accessioned'.  In the Object lot status values (object_lot_statuses) list, I selected 'accessioned' and set the default flag to yes.  The value shows as the default in the list of items.  However, when I load the date entry interface, it doesn't default to 'accessioned'.  Instead it shows as '- NONE -T'.

This is happening with the acquisition method date element and also a custom data element using a custom list.  However, it works fine for other data elements that use a valie list including Status.  I just can't figure out what's different between these two element.

Thanks so much for all your help.  You guys have been great about responding to questions.

Charles

Comments

• Hi Davidson,

Have you checked to see that your list item 'none' is set to default:no?

Also, to be clear, are you creating new records or editing existing ones?  Is it possible that you had previously saved a record, setting the values as 'none,' even though you did not intend to?
  • Hi,

I am creating new records. There is no value in the list called "none", so I cannot set the default value to "no".  In custom elements, we have the ability to set a 'No value text" when the value is not required. I believe this is where "none" is coming from. However, status element is an intrinsic element and I do not have the ability to change this.

Thanks.

• Another note ...

I removed the value in the element field "No value text" for a custom element.  The default item option now works for custom elements only.  That doesn't fix the fact that I can't set a default for a value list where "No value text" is set because I cannot edit intrinsic data elements directly from the interface.

Thanks,
  • edited June 2015
    The -NONE- "value" appears as pseudo-default when you use the list using a custom "List" element and the "requireValue" setting is set to 0/No. It's not actually a value, just a placeholder. If you want it to require a value, set that setting to 1/Yes.

It should never appear for the lot_status_id intrinsic field, however. That field always requires a value if placed in a UI.
  • Hello,

I believe I understand completely what you are saying.  I don't think it works as advertised.  Take a look at my screenshots.  In the first, I have set the default object_status value to be "accessioned".  On my interface, I have the accession status bundle (item_status_id).  But when I add a new item, the field defaults to "NONE".

Following your comments above, I shouldn't see "NONE' as an option if an intrinsic field always requires a value when placed in a UI.  There is also no place for me to made any "requireValue" settings for an intrinsic field.

Hope that explains it.  I've tried double checking everything again.

Charles

• edited June 2015
    A-ha! I thought you were talking about lot_status_id for object lots! (because you mentioned the object_lot_statuses list in your first post)

Yes, ca_objects.item_status_id (which is what you're looking at) can indeed be NULL. ca_object_lots.lot_status_id can't. Don't ask me why :-)

So yeah, there's basically no way for you to get rid of that -NONE- option. You can always make a custom List element that references that same list though, and then set requireValue to 1 for that element.
  • Thanks for the response.  I don't necessarily need for the -NONE- option to disappear.  But I want to set a default value for the field while I am doing a ton of data entry.  Even though I set the default in the list, it doesn't actually make a difference in this case.  Is that by design?  It seems strange.
  • This problem (default list value doesn't show up in the object editor) seems to persist. I just had the same problem with source_id (= object_sources list). Any possibility to make the "NONE" value disappear and the default value show up?