Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to the CollectiveAccess support forum! Here the developers and community answer questions related to use of the software. Please include the following information in every new issue posted here:

1. Version of the software that is used, along with browser and version

2. If the issue pertains to Providence, Pawtucket or both

3. What steps you’ve taken to try to resolve the issue

4. Screenshots demonstrating the issue

5. The relevant sections of your installation profile or configuration including the codes and settings defined for your local elements.

If your question pertains to data import or export, please also include:

1. Data sample

2. Your mapping

Answers may be delayed for posts that do not include sufficient information.

QNAP NAS Server Installation Question

Install CollectiveAccess on local NAS
I would like to install CollectiveAccess on QNAP TS-439 Pro II NAS box.
Has anyone had experience with this or can direct me to an appropriate information source?
Thanks, Murphy Shewchuk
Nicola Valley Museum & Archives

Comments

• No idea about that particular QNAP but yes, there are users who run CollectiveAccess on similar devices. There was one pretty long thread on this forum last year -- I'm sure you can dig it up by searching for NAS.

All you need to get a really basic setup going is a web server (Apache) with PHP support and a MySQL database. I bet both are either set up on the device already or easy to install via their web UI. From there you can follow the install instructions here: http://docs.collectiveaccess.org/wiki/Installing_Providence

The problem will be adding support for processing media. The last person who tried this had a really hard time setting up the external tools we use to extract preview frames from uploaded images.
  • Hi MurphyO,
    I agree with Seth.
    I have looked up the details of the NAS and found the key details to be: https://us1.qnap.com/Storage/TechnicalDocument/20140618-QNAP_Turbo_NAS_Hardware_Manual_ENG.pdf

• Processors Installed

1 x Intel Atom D425 1.8 GHz

• Flash Memory Installed

512 MB
    • OS Linux
    • RAM: DDR2 SODIMM, 1 slot
    I would not install on this platform for the following reasons:
    • The Atom chip is for low power consumption, single use activities like Point of Sale systems (no need for heat sinks and fans) and for ATM machines running ripped back Windows OS like Pos Ready and WEPOS, and non-gui linux. It will not perform well in terms of processing media when inserting records, and this Atom version is only 32 bit. It has a 4GB RAM limit
    • The RAM is one single slot, DDR2 SODIMM. The largest module available (i believe) is 2GB. With only 1 slot available, you will never exceed 2GB RAM
    • OS Linux : Not all Linux flavours are the same and you not all required packages are available. It is not clear what OS the Linux version for the NAS is. Problems will no doubt arise when you go to enable a php module, and find it has not been ported to this version. There may be the possibility of you yourself cross compiling and creating a PPA with pgp key, but that is extra technical skill that may not be held.
    I have run installs and setups in my test environment, including on Raspberry Pi as a low power, low user system. I have also installed on an Atom 86/64bit system that was originally a Wincor Nixdorf ATM box (all in the name of discovery). The mother board of the Atom chip had only 1 RAM slot. It is only good for running maybe Pawtucket. The Raspberry Pi is good for a small place, maybe 4 users. Neither of these test environments had RAID. The only OS that had all the Php7 modules I needed was Ubuntu 16.04. Debian and Centos did not.

I recommend Ubuntu 16.04.04 as the OS as all the packages and sources are available. Patching together hardware to handle failures and power saving with grunt when processing is needed is hard.

I hope this helps
    mrpinks