Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to the CollectiveAccess support forum! Here the developers and community answer questions related to use of the software. Please include the following information in every new issue posted here:

  1. Version of the software that is used, along with browser and version

  2. If the issue pertains to Providence, Pawtucket or both

  3. What steps you’ve taken to try to resolve the issue

  4. Screenshots demonstrating the issue

  5. The relevant sections of your installation profile or configuration including the codes and settings defined for your local elements.

If your question pertains to data import or export, please also include:

  1. Data sample

  2. Your mapping

Answers may be delayed for posts that do not include sufficient information.

Importing - various issues; importing into a list and dimensions

edited August 2017 in Troubleshooting
Issue: I am trying to import data to Providence 1.7.5 on my server via a sample mapping (see attached file) based on data to import (see attached file) with almost no success. My Providence database mainly consists of lists.
  1. For instance, I have created a container with metadata element code ca_objects.CUR. Within that container I have created a list named CUR.L that holds the values "John Doe" and "John Dane". However, I have trouble populating the list by using table element ca_objects.CUR.CUR.L for instance.
  2. I then thought to take a step back and just populate the container holding the various dimensions. I suppose I could import those to the following field ca.objects_dimensions.dimensions_length. But even when reading the forum on importing dates I can't seem to make it work. 
  3. Storage locations I haven't tried too much.. 
To end on a positive note: the thing I was able to import are the hard-coded fields and regular text fields, such as ca_objects.idno, ca_objects.preferred_labels, and ca_objects.description.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I would really love your help, because I have been working on this all morning and most of the afternoon.. Thank you for your help. Greatly appreciated.


  • 1. Could be several issues here:

    Is "CUR.L" the element code for the sub-container element? It really shouldn't have a period in it as that is used to delimit between table, code, and sub-element code. Try renaming that element's code to CURL. Right now it probable thinks that "CUR" and "L" are distinct sub-elements of container "CUR".

    Do the values "John Doe" and "John Dane" corresponded to existing list items? By default, this matches on identifier, so make sure the data source values match the list item idnos, or use the "matchOn" option to make the matching happen on labels.

    If the values don't already exist as list items you would need to use a listItemSplitter to create them in a mapping, but this wouldn't work inside a container. It's not typical to create person names as list items... In CA this is what the Entity table is primarily used for.

    2. Dimensions require both a numeric value and a unit specifier. It looks like your data has the former but not the latter, so the importer doesn't know if it's dealing with feet, inches, centimeters, etc. The solution is to add the specifiers to the data directly, or use the option "formatWithTemplate" to append specifiers to the values during the import process.

    3. Storage Locations will require a refininery such as a storageLocationSplitter or hierarchyBuilder.

    The options and refineries I mention can be found in the documentation here:

    Hope this helps!

  • Jonathan, thank you very much for your help. 
    1. For my created lists I am not completely sure yet. I changed the list code for lists ca_objects.CUR.CUR.L into ca_objects.CUR.CURL as you suggested, which is a big step forward. Now when importing data a new metadata field is created, but it doesn't populate the field yet. I tried importing by using "{"matchOn": ["labels", "idno"]}, but with no success. I also tried using idnos in the data source as you suggested, and that didn't really do the trick as well.
    2. Your advice was very helpful. I was able to import the dimensions by adding the suffix cm to the data I imported among various other fields. That dimensions are the majority of my data so a big help.
    3. Thanks for sending the link to the documentation. That helps!
    Thanks for sending me in the right direction. Have a wonderful day!
Sign In or Register to comment.