Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to the CollectiveAccess support forum! Here the developers and community answer questions related to use of the software. Please include the following information in every new issue posted here:

1. Version of the software that is used, along with browser and version

2. If the issue pertains to Providence, Pawtucket or both

3. What steps you’ve taken to try to resolve the issue

4. Screenshots demonstrating the issue

5. The relevant sections of your installation profile or configuration including the codes and settings defined for your local elements.

If your question pertains to data import or export, please also include:

1. Data sample

2. Your mapping

Answers may be delayed for posts that do not include sufficient information.

Periodic slowdown

We've got Providence version 1.7.5 installed on an AWS t2.large instance, with the Providence app directory and MySQL databases on an attached volume with plenty of room. 

A couple times a day the entire app just... pauses... often when accessing fields that do lookups (creators and contributors, publisher, and subjects, for example). Sometimes the connection times out, sometimes it's just a very long delay.

Looking at MySQL there are many 'sleeping' threads, but I'm at a loss -- how can I troubleshoot this? Has anyone else run into this sort of thing?

Comments

• Are there specific times during the day when it stops? And is there anything else running on the server, taking significant CPU or I/O when this happens?
  • edited March 8
    It doesn't seem to be tied to a particular time of day, and there isn't anything else on the server.

The slowdowns seem to be due to user activity, mostly when accessing fields that perform lookups.
  • Are you using ElasticSearch or the SQL-based search?
  • SQL-based, I'd guess, but -- how would you check to be certain?

• Go to the Manage menu, select Administrate, then select Configuration Check from the side menu.
  • Search Engine: SQL Search