Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to the CollectiveAccess support forum! Here the developers and community answer questions related to use of the software. Please include the following information in every new issue posted here:

1. Version of the software that is used, along with browser and version

2. If the issue pertains to Providence, Pawtucket or both

3. What steps you’ve taken to try to resolve the issue

4. Screenshots demonstrating the issue

5. The relevant sections of your installation profile or configuration including the codes and settings defined for your local elements.

If your question pertains to data import or export, please also include:

1. Data sample

2. Your mapping

Answers may be delayed for posts that do not include sufficient information.

Is CA the right tool?

I am look at helping a local historical society in creating a online database to work on and share their photographs and stories of local families. 

They want simple things like;
Who is in the photo
Where was it taken
and a block of text for any stories related to picture?

Ideally the who and where fields would link pictures and places together and eventually be able to be shown on a map. 

Can CA do this for them? Is it intuitive enough for nontechnical people to access and record said data once the collection of pictures have been uploaded?

I can help setup the CA instance for them but I am by no means a librarian or archivist. 

Thanks

Comments

• Hi,

CollectiveAccess can certainly meet all of the requirements you list here. The application for end-users is fairly intuitive and easy to use, though the installation and configuration of the software requires some technical knowledge. I would recommend testing out the demo site to determine if it's an appropriate fit for your intended users:

http://demo.collectiveaccess.org

• I actually started this for myself, and then a local Historical Society that when done, will have near 700,000 items.

For myself, I have my family Genealogy on it. I did both at the same time because for me, they are so closely related. They have documents, I have documents, they have photo's, I have photos. they have objects, I ain't got so many of those.

Since I have records of birth from Hungary, Canada, homesteads in South Dakota, I was able to map where these locations actually were/are.

The setting up can be the hard part, inputting once done is a piece of cake for the end user.

Doug
  • Doug, 

What profile did you end up using?

James
  • The default and then made some modifications from there. I am using a little older version, 1.6.2. Having to upgrade PHP is what is stopping me and I have had very little issues with this version.

Pawtucket, so far have kept the css the same, so the look is stock, but several changes to the other forms. Mainly adding fields and so on.