Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to the CollectiveAccess support forum! Here the developers and community answer questions related to use of the software. Please include the following information in every new issue posted here:

1. Version of the software that is used, along with browser and version

2. If the issue pertains to Providence, Pawtucket or both

3. What steps you’ve taken to try to resolve the issue

4. Screenshots demonstrating the issue

5. The relevant sections of your installation profile or configuration including the codes and settings defined for your local elements.

If your question pertains to data import or export, please also include:

1. Data sample

2. Your mapping

Answers may be delayed for posts that do not include sufficient information.

Help please!

Hello! I am attempting to install Collective Access for a project I am working on, but I am not very well-versed when it comes to MySQL. I do not understand in the directions, under "Installing Providence" when it say, "Copy the contents of the CollectiveAccess software distribution to the root of the web server instance in which your installation will run. You can obtain the latest release version from our download page. If you are to obtain CollectiveAccess from the project's GitHub repository then run the following command from the parent of the directory into which you want to install CA: git clone https://github.com/collectiveaccess/providence.git providence where the trailing "providence" is the name of the directory you want your installation to be in. Git will create the directory for you." What does this mean? HOW do I copy the contents? Where do I find them?

Please help, I'm really clueless at all of this. Thank you.

Comments

• Also, I am running on Windows.

• Hi abrightsky,

You'll need to set up your Windows machine to run all of the applications required to operate like a web server, and have all of the dependent tools that CollectiveAccess uses... even if you're the only one to access it, and you're not sharing to the outside world. If you're not certain what that means, you might start with learning about how to install WAMP (Windows, Apache, MySQL, PHP) on your machine. In that process, you'll learn about the web server's root directory and how to create databases in MySQL for the web app to talk to.

There is a high learning curve in the above, and in installing CA, so you might consider using an external host instead.

• John