Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to the CollectiveAccess support forum! Here the developers and community answer questions related to use of the software. Please include the following information in every new issue posted here:

1. Version of the software that is used, along with browser and version

2. If the issue pertains to Providence, Pawtucket or both

3. What steps you’ve taken to try to resolve the issue

4. Screenshots demonstrating the issue

5. The relevant sections of your installation profile or configuration including the codes and settings defined for your local elements.

If your question pertains to data import or export, please also include:

1. Data sample

2. Your mapping

Answers may be delayed for posts that do not include sufficient information.

Providence - [BLANK] in Inspector

Hi All!

I made custom Screens for Entities and Objects, where i use custom metadata field for naming.
The problem is when i save the record, it shows [BLANK] in the Inspector. Also wanted to attach the object to another (with a related object field), but the system can't find the record, just if i type in [BLANK].
Is there any way to use some of these custom metadata fields to give display name to the records?

Thanks!

Comments

• I have had this happen myself. What ended up being my issue was I had accidently included the wrong metadata element on the screen/interface. In our installation there are a few elements with nearly identical names and I had dragged the wrong one over. The one I dragged had what I thought was the name I wanted but the one I needed ended up being a slightly different name further down the list. This may not be your issue but I'd double check that.

• Hi all,

The inspector uses the preferred_labels metadata element to display information throughout the system, so if you are using another element, it will automatically set the preferred_labels value to [Blank].

One way to solve this is to use the preferred_labels element to give your records a label to be used internally within the system only, and a second field to observe the custom behavior that you want.

Alternatively, you can set the relationships lookup settings in app.conf to use your custom title instead of preferred_labels. You'll also need to customize the inspector, which is detailed in this post: https://collectiveaccess.org/support/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/320545#Comment_320545.