Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to the CollectiveAccess support forum! Here the developers and community answer questions related to use of the software. Please include the following information in every new issue posted here:

1. Version of the software that is used, along with browser and version

2. If the issue pertains to Providence, Pawtucket or both

3. What steps you’ve taken to try to resolve the issue

4. Screenshots demonstrating the issue

5. The relevant sections of your installation profile or configuration including the codes and settings defined for your local elements.

If your question pertains to data import or export, please also include:

1. Data sample

2. Your mapping

Answers may be delayed for posts that do not include sufficient information.

Installation difficulties for a evaluation

I am struggling with installation I have tried both manual install and using vagrant but I am getting lost. Is there a pre-built VM I can run that actually works? I need to run this on a VM so that a few users can run evaluation.

Issue is mainly i am having to run this on Ubuntu for OS licensing reasons and I am no Linux expert, I am finding the instructions vague.

For the manual install I have the server setup with prereqeqs and have tried to follow the instructions, issue I have are;
1) Do I download the files manually or use the GIT clone command or both, its not clear
2) where is the root of the webserver instance
3) what parameter do i change in the setup.php file
4) I can't access the web based installer so clearer I have messed up the steps above

For the vagrant version, the VM runs fine no errors but I cannot access the web interface, I get a Index of\ apache page, so what have i missed here?

Just need one of these working any advice greatly appreciated, my lack of linux knowledge is the problem here as I do not understand the commands or folder structures. (I Need a GUI!!!)

Cheers

Comments

• Hi Lookslikerain,

Use the git clone command to install the software (this will download the needed files). There are instructions in the setup.php file for what to change. You need to create a database and enter the information in the configuration file so that providence can access it. The important sections are lines 32-60 and 141, you can ignore the other settings and still have a functioning test system. The installer is located in the /install folder, so you if you downloaded the system to a folder called providence, you might access it from www.myurl.com/providence/install

• Building on what Sophie stated, and to answer your question regarding number 2, the default root of the web server in Ubuntu is /var/www/html in the file structure and localhost/ in a browser. In other words, let's say you want to access providence setup.php to edit it, you would go to /var/www/html/providence (assuming you did not rename the folder). Once the program has been installed, you can access providence through localhost/providence. You can also reach it through the IP address on the network, eg. 192.168.1.[x]/providence[/install]. The way I usually look up the IP address is through the command ifconfig.

Were is the hardware located that is running Ubuntu? You might be able to simply install a GUI onto the server if the VM is simply running on a desktop. I want to say look into installing lightdm (for being able to start a GUI) and LXDE (A light weight Linux Desktop manager).