Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to the CollectiveAccess support forum! Here the developers and community answer questions related to use of the software. Please include the following information in every new issue posted here:

1. Version of the software that is used, along with browser and version

2. If the issue pertains to Providence, Pawtucket or both

3. What steps you’ve taken to try to resolve the issue

4. Screenshots demonstrating the issue

5. The relevant sections of your installation profile or configuration including the codes and settings defined for your local elements.

If your question pertains to data import or export, please also include:

1. Data sample

2. Your mapping

Answers may be delayed for posts that do not include sufficient information.

Will Collective Access work for my digital archive project needs?

Hello - I hope it is ok to ask the community to help me assess whether Collective Access will work for me.

I run The Zuckerberg Files, which is a digital archive of everything Mark Zuckerberg says in public. We have about 1000 records, mostly PDF transcripts, but also a few hundred MP4 video files as well. A sample record is at https://www.zuckerbergfiles.org/records/2018-097/ 1

We recently started using Wordpress Download Manager as a platform, but I’m not thrilled with its layout and searchability. I’m hoping the new CA might be a good option for me.

Here are my core requirements:

1. Ability to have multiple downloadable media files attached to a single record (ie, both a PDF and an MP4 file)
  2. Ability to either (a) let anyone view records but only users with a certain access control can download the media file, or (b) hide all records user has access control permissions
  3. Ability to search full-text of PDF or txt files attached to a record.
  4. Flexibility in directory displays of items in the collection.

Do you think CA work for me?

Thanks!
Michael Zimmer

Comments

• Hi Michael,

Yes, CA supports these requirements. Let us know if you have more questions!

• Thanks, Sophie. On my 2nd item, does CA allow the first alternative? I'd love to have the entire collection publicly viewable, but downloading attached PDF, MP4 or TXT files would be restricted to users granted certain permissions.

Also, can you point me to any really good examples of collections so I can view how the search and directory interfaces look?

Thanks! ~Michael

• Hi Michael,

The ability to download media on a per-use basis on the front-end is a standard restriction setting available under "access roles" in the backend interface.

There are a number of projects listed at https://collectiveaccess.org/projects that you can look at. The front-end interface is fully customizable, so you can write an interface that suits your needs if one doesn't already exist. We also provide consulting services if you would like something else developed for your project.