Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to the CollectiveAccess support forum! Here the developers and community answer questions related to use of the software. Please include the following information in every new issue posted here:

1. Version of the software that is used, along with browser and version

2. If the issue pertains to Providence, Pawtucket or both

3. What steps you’ve taken to try to resolve the issue

4. Screenshots demonstrating the issue

5. The relevant sections of your installation profile or configuration including the codes and settings defined for your local elements.

If your question pertains to data import or export, please also include:

1. Data sample

2. Your mapping

Answers may be delayed for posts that do not include sufficient information.

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function unicode_strlen()

edited January 12 in Installation

Hi all!

I am working on migrating a CollectiveAccess installation from one place to another, and I am getting an error I haven't seen before and I can't find in this forum or the wiki. Has anyone else ran into this, and how might I resolve the issue?

I get this error (see below) and another similar error when trying to search by the Find navigation, on all pages. We get it if we click on the top-level object type (like Entities), the browse pages, and if we try to perform a search.

Is there maybe a version of one of the dependencies that is off, or something else I might check for? Thank you!

Error message:

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function unicode_strlen() in /var/www/providence/themes/default/views/find/Results/ca_occurrences_results_list_html.php:56 Stack trace: #0 /var/www/providence/app/lib/core/View.php(329): require() #1 /var/www/providence/app/lib/core/View.php(297): View->_render('/var/www/provid...') #2 /var/www/providence/themes/default/views/find/Search/ca_occurrences_search_basic_html.php(49): View->render('Results/ca_occu...') #3 /var/www/providence/app/lib/core/View.php(329): require('/var/www/provid...') #4 /var/www/providence/app/lib/core/View.php(297): View->_render('/var/www/provid...') #5 /var/www/providence/app/lib/core/Controller/ActionController.php(167): View->render('Search/ca_occur...', false) #6 /var/www/providence/app/lib/ca/BaseSearchController.php(313): ActionController->render('Search/ca_occur...') #7 /var/www/providence/app/controllers/find/SearchOccurrencesController.php(85): BaseSearchController->Index(Array) #8 /var/www/providence/app/lib/core/Controller/RequestDispatc in /var/www/providence/themes/default/views/find/Results/ca_occurrences_results_list_html.php on line 56

Comments

• Oh I should also note that the regular search box on the top-right of CA works juuuustttt fine! It's only the browse, and another error about the ajax (but seems to be related to the same issue at heart, involving an undefined unicode_strlen function)

• edited January 13

Hi, what version are you using? The 1.7.6 release, or something older or from GitHub?

thanks
    seth

• Hi! Sorry, I should have mentioned that. It's the 1.7.6 release.

• I'll add the other common error here as well (sorry Markdown doesn't seem to show up very well, so I am pasting as plaintext):

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function unicode_ucfirst() in /var/www/providence/themes/default/views/find/Browse/ajax_browse_facet_html.php:176 Stack trace: #0 /var/www/providence/app/lib/core/View.php(329): require() #1 /var/www/providence/app/lib/core/View.php(297): View->_render('/var/www/provid...') #2 /var/www/providence/app/lib/core/Controller/ActionController.php(167): View->render('Browse/ajax_bro...', false) #3 /var/www/providence/app/lib/ca/BaseBrowseController.php(445): ActionController->render('Browse/ajax_bro...') #4 /var/www/providence/app/lib/core/Controller/RequestDispatcher.php(273): BaseBrowseController->getFacet(NULL) #5 /var/www/providence/app/lib/core/Controller/AppController.php(113): RequestDispatcher->dispatch(Array) #6 /var/www/providence/index.php(112): AppController->dispatch(true) #7 {main} thrown in /var/www/providence/themes/default/views/find/Browse/ajax_browse_facet_html.php on line 176

• Can you pull the current "develop" code from GitHub? Or do you have to use this current installation?

• Hey! I updated the default theme from that directory and now things seem to be in tip-top shape. Shook out whatever bug was stuck in there. Thanks a lot!

• Great! unicode_strlen() is an ancient function that we purged out of some code in the not-so-distant past. I guess it was stuck in a file in the theme.

• Hi, I'm having a similar issue, I'm trying to install providence on Bluehost (latest version 1.7.6 downloaded today from GitHub) after uploading to home directory and trying to unzip to install it is still throwing error saying that "There was an uncaught fatal error". Any assistance here would be appreciated, thanks!

• Take a look in the log (in app/log) and post the error message here, please.

• Hi Seth, I've managed to sort out the issue (I hadn't entered some of the database setting correctly in the setup.php file). However, now when I point to the installer (mywebsite/install/ if just shows the collectiveaccess logo and lists the installer info as "Version 1.7.5 installer (XML)" but there are no options to continue on (no email entry, profile selector, continue button). Can't figure out what I've done wrong. Thanks in advance.

• There's an error. Is your PHP installation set to output errors to the screen? If so you should see an error message.

• If not add this line in your setup.php:

ini_set("display_errors", "On");

and then reload.

• Thanks for this. I've added this line of code to the setup.php file but still no errors are loading? CA_STACKTRACE_ON_EXCEPTION is set to true.

• What version of PHP are you running?

• I'm using Bluehost, seems to be PHP 5.6 (Single php.ini)

• Does it have the PHP xml extension installed? Can you post the output of phpinfo()?

• actually realise I can I do this this (delete file) think :)

• Ok you have XML installed. I'd look at the various logs and find an error message. Something is missing somewhere. I'm sorry I can't be more specific.

• Thank you! Much appreciated.

• Hi Seth, would you please delete the phpinfo().pdh from post above as don't want to be there long term. I don't have the ability to do this now. Thanks!

• edited January 23

Thank you.