Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Welcome to the CollectiveAccess support forum! Here the developers and community answer questions related to use of the software. Please include the following information in every new issue posted here:

1. Version of the software that is used, along with browser and version

2. If the issue pertains to Providence, Pawtucket or both

3. What steps you’ve taken to try to resolve the issue

4. Screenshots demonstrating the issue

5. The relevant sections of your installation profile or configuration including the codes and settings defined for your local elements.

If your question pertains to data import or export, please also include:

1. Data sample

2. Your mapping

Answers may be delayed for posts that do not include sufficient information.

what is the best way

I volunteer with a study collection that contains more than 5000 objects. These objects are divided into various groups such as electrical measuring instruments (signal generators, oscilloscopes, voltmeter, etc), Computers (PC, laptops, workstations, mainframe, process computers), Telephony (telephones, telephone exchanges, telexes, etc), high-voltage equipment, radio and TV , navigation equipment, etc. Every volunteer has his own field and is responsible for that part of the collection. Now the question is, how should I set up Collective Access. Do I have to turn the groups into collections with access only for the responsible volunteer, or do I have to make one collection. Is there an example of an installation file somewhere that I can use as a base. I also want to include specifications of the objects in CA, these are not the same for the objects within the group.

Comments

• It depends what you mean by this: "Every volunteer has his own field and is responsible for that part of the collection"
    If each volunteer is responsible for a specific format, i.e. Telephony, then you might want to use type-level access control. If each volunteer is in charge of a specific set of fields you should use metadata-level. If it's collection based then source-level is for you.
    It's hard to say which example profile would be relevant without knowing more about your project.

• julia thanks for this quick response
    All volunteers have their own field. I want them to log in to CA and then immediately enter their part of the collection, enter the data, and only make changes there. The question is, is this possible if I organize it through collections with a subdivision into objects. So you have a collection computers, measuring instruments, telephony, etc. Or should I make one collection in which I make a subdivision again? Then you get a group of computers ( with an underlay in laptops, hobby computers etc) a group of telephony (exchange, devices etc). It is important that users can search the collection well with, for example, give me all laptops from computers. I hope this makes it clear what I want.
    Eric.

• I'm sorry, I don't follow. Are the volunteers editing their field on an object record? Or on a specific collection designated for them? Either way if I'm understanding the big picture correctly this is possible with metadata and/or source-level access control.

• julia, first of all I wanted to know what the best method is to include our collection in CA. Through various collections or all in one large collection. This is still not clear to me. The next question is then, if you organize it in different collections is it then possible to give a volunteer access to one collection as editor of this collection. If I understood correctly, this should by possible with metadata and/or source-level access control ( sorry for this late response )

• The best way to set up multiple collections within one large collection is to use CollectiveAccess's collections table to group the items and record information about the groupings. And yes, source-level access control should work for you with this set up.

• Is there an example of an installation profile available how to do that

• The multiple collection set up would be done with cataloging, not in the installation profile. The Glenstone profile uses source level access control: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/collectiveaccess/providence/develop/install/profiles/xml/other/glenstone.xml