Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Welcome to the CollectiveAccess support forum! Here the developers and community answer questions related to use of the software. Please include the following information in every new issue posted here:

  1. Version of the software that is used, along with browser and version

  2. If the issue pertains to Providence, Pawtucket or both

  3. What steps you’ve taken to try to resolve the issue

  4. Screenshots demonstrating the issue

  5. The relevant sections of your installation profile or configuration including the codes and settings defined for your local elements.

If your question pertains to data import or export, please also include:

  1. Data sample

  2. Your mapping

Answers may be delayed for posts that do not include sufficient information.

Pawtucket2 has HTTP 500 unable to handle request error, although Providence is fine - help please?

I have been building the site for months, no problems. suddenly gives HTTP 500 error and 'unable to handle this request'.

We have a huge launch is 3 days, so I'm a bit panicked. We didn't make any significant changes, it just suddenly starting giving this error.

Any thoughts? Thank you.


  • At this point, I think we have fixed it. For anyone that has the same error, here's what we experienced (we're running Ubuntu LAMP on 18.04 on Digital Ocean):

    We looked at /var/log/apache2/error.log and saw these entries:

    [Fri Nov 15 02:32:04.025981 2019] [php7:error] [pid 3781] [client] PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /var/www/html/pawtucket2/app/helpers/utilityHelpers.php on line 348

    [Fri Nov 15 02:35:11.594105 2019] [php7:error] [pid 3784] [client] PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /var/www/html/pawtucket2/app/helpers/utilityHelpers.php on line 426

    Which upon Googling lead us to:, which lead to

    We cleared the app/tmp (in both Pawtucket and Providence) files and restarted Apache, but problem remained - Pawtucket wouldn't load.

    So we went to /etc/php/7.2/apache2/php.ini file and increased the max_execution time from 30 to 300 and restarted Apache.

    Site is currently working fine, will advise on any updates.

  • We solved this by creating a weekly Cron job that cleared the cache files.

Sign In or Register to comment.