Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to the CollectiveAccess support forum! Here the developers and community answer questions related to use of the software. Please include the following information in every new issue posted here:

1. Version of the software that is used, along with browser and version

2. If the issue pertains to Providence, Pawtucket or both

3. What steps you’ve taken to try to resolve the issue

4. Screenshots demonstrating the issue

5. The relevant sections of your installation profile or configuration including the codes and settings defined for your local elements.

If your question pertains to data import or export, please also include:

1. Data sample

2. Your mapping

Answers may be delayed for posts that do not include sufficient information.

Searching for ONLY Blank/No Value Fields

Hello,
I'm trying to figure out a way to search for records that have no values in two specific fields. Upon import of our old Virtual Collections database the values which were text were imported to a text field. Many of our older records don't have a condition recorded. Ones that did I created sets and batch changed them to our new drop down. Now I'm trying to isolate records that do not have a value in either the old condition field or the new drop down so I can batch change them to 'Unknown' in our new field.

If I hit enter while in the fields and it's blank, nothing happens, likely because it can't find anything to search by. I could search using another parameter but that wouldn't return useful results. I can browse, export to Excel, sort and delete records with conditions and then try to import an update without messing things up. There must be some sort of wildcard that is recognised as a blank or some other easier way.

Thank you!

Comments

• Try searching on a specific field for [BLANK]

• According to CA's search syntax guidelines, that 'wildcard' is supposed to be: "[BLANK]". However, I haven't been able to get it to work in either Providence's Search forms or with the Web Services API. While I don't have the need as you do at present moment, if you get it to work, I'd be curious to know how you did it!

• Hello,
    I played around and wasn't able to get a search working with 'ca.objects......' and an AND statement to cover both fields but eventually was able to make enough changes that the end result was the same.

Thanks!