Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Welcome to the CollectiveAccess support forum! Here the developers and community answer questions related to use of the software. Please include the following information in every new issue posted here:

1. Version of the software that is used, along with browser and version

2. If the issue pertains to Providence, Pawtucket or both

3. What steps you’ve taken to try to resolve the issue

4. Screenshots demonstrating the issue

5. The relevant sections of your installation profile or configuration including the codes and settings defined for your local elements.

If your question pertains to data import or export, please also include:

1. Data sample

2. Your mapping

Answers may be delayed for posts that do not include sufficient information.

What is Data Dictionary?

Hi,

I found a section under Management that reads "Data Dictionary". I try to find more details on the wiki, but I didn't find any (searching for "dictionary" nor "rules").

Do you know what it is for?

Regard.s

Comments

• edited May 3

The Data Dictionary provides a way to declare validation rules on selected fields and have violations of those rules manifest in different ways, from notices ("You might want to make that title shorter") to warnings ("Please make that title shorter") to errors ("You won't be able to save until you make that title shorter").

The rules are based upon expressions, so there's a fair amount of flexibility is what can be tested. You can, for example, trigger violations based upon word count, capitalization, media width/height, etc. This is a main selling point, along with the ability to interactively present violations in the editing interface and provisions for browsing on violations.

This feature was developed several years ago specifically for the Association of Nova Scotia Museums, but a configuration interface was lacking until recently, so no one but them were using it. As part of recent grant-funded work, the feature was expanded and a configuration user interface finally added. There's also now provision for specifying dictionary entries in installation profiles.

Documentation for the feature is being worked upon and will be added to the manual (https://manual.collectiveaccess.org) soon.

seth

• Thank you! And also thank you for the people at Association of Nova Scotia Museums!

I will wait for the manual then. I think this feature is really powerful to make data entry coherent.

I realized the manual has some weird formatting in the expressions page:

Do you please consider inserting just a brief description on the wiki? I think the description you provided is enough, at least for a starting. I will do it myself, but I don't have permissions :(

• Will do.

• Thank you!!