Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Welcome to the CollectiveAccess support forum! Here the developers and community answer questions related to use of the software. Please include the following information in every new issue posted here:

1. Version of the software that is used, along with browser and version

2. If the issue pertains to Providence, Pawtucket or both

3. What steps you’ve taken to try to resolve the issue

4. Screenshots demonstrating the issue

5. The relevant sections of your installation profile or configuration including the codes and settings defined for your local elements.

If your question pertains to data import or export, please also include:

1. Data sample

2. Your mapping

Answers may be delayed for posts that do not include sufficient information.

Auto-populate technical metadata from media files to metadata elements?

edited May 13 in Feedback

I know that technical metadata, such as pixel resolution, codecs, etc is extracted and displayed next to a media file after upload.

Would it be possible to put that already extracted tech-MD into user defined metadata elements?

My intention is the following:

• Satisfy metadata standards that define tech-MD fields (e.g. European Film Gateway (EFG)).
  • Provide common means for displaying certain/prominent tech-MD to users.
  • Filter/search by these technical properties.

I'm currently reading the Wiki article on "Application plugins", which may sound promising :smile:

Any suggestions or input would be greatly welcome!
Thank you very much in advance.

Comments

• I'm also checking out the following code, as it seems that this is where MediaInfo is called to extract the tech-MD values:

• app/lib/Plugins/Media/Audio.php
    • app/lib/Plugins/Media/Video.php
  • We've just overhauled the embedded metadata extraction system. The work is in the "develop" branch and documented here: https://manual.collectiveaccess.org/import/mediaembeddedmetadata.html

• edited May 13

Awesome! So I guess this is another reason switching to devel-branch :smile:

So do I understand you correctly, that what I'd like to do is (or will be) possible?

• Well it's another reason to get it together for a new release... time (or lack thereof) is the enemy.