Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Welcome to the CollectiveAccess support forum! Here the developers and community answer questions related to use of the software. Please include the following information in every new issue posted here:

1. Version of the software that is used, along with browser and version

2. If the issue pertains to Providence, Pawtucket or both

3. What steps you’ve taken to try to resolve the issue

4. Screenshots demonstrating the issue

5. The relevant sections of your installation profile or configuration including the codes and settings defined for your local elements.

If your question pertains to data import or export, please also include:

1. Data sample

2. Your mapping

Answers may be delayed for posts that do not include sufficient information.

CA subject

Hi,
I am using providence 1.7.5 on Windows 2012 Server.
I am using Dublin Core and would like to use a metadata for subject data.
I found that in object screen "subject" section, one of the default metadata is "Object related vocabulary terms" (ca_list_items), which is a hierarchy metadata that can choose a concept in lists.
Another metadata is LCSH, since my records are not library items, I will not use this metadata.
I found that I can add a metadata "subject" (ca_object.subject) which is a text element, but there may be a problem for vocabulary control.
Actually I know I can add a new metadata on my own but I would like to choose the one already found in CA.
I would like to create a list for subject with vocabulary control, which metadata is better for me?
Many thanks!

ltk19

Comments

• Hi,

I try to help you.

1. Create or use a vocabulary list

• Case 1: you want to use a list vocabulary made by yourself. You go to "Lists and vocabularies" and create a new list (the (+) button on the right).
      You define a preferred label for this list, a unique code for this list. Choose "yes" for "use as vocabulary".
      If it's a hierarchical vocabulary, choose "yes".
      And then add terms (and sub-terms).

• Case 2: you want to use a list vocabulary that already exists in a vocabulary server. you don't need to create a list, but you need to know how to request information to this server, so how to use its service.

• Case 3: you want to use a list vocabulary that already exists but there is no vocabulary server anywhere, or you don't know how to request information to this server.
      So go back to case 1, except if you are able to install TemaTres code on your own server. If you can do that, TemaTres allows to import some files in various formats. You can also create vocabulary "by hand", instead of doing this in CA (case 1) if you want that other people could use it like in case 2.
      But to use TemaTres in CA, you will need to add a little script made by "ideesculture" downloadable here in you CA code.

2. Create the metadata and link it to vocabulary

You go to Administration -> Metadata, and choose "(+) New" button.
    Choose a name that will appear in the UI.
    Choose a code.

Two cases:

• If you want to link this metadata to a vocabulary list created in CA, select the data type "List". And in the updated new display, choose the right list.
    • If you want to link this metadata to a service (form a server) (including TemaTres), select the data type "InformationService". In the updated new display, choose the right Service. For TemaTres Services, give the Tematres service URL (like https://any.server.org/tematres/vocab)

You can limit this metadata to objects type and sub-types.
    Save.

3. Add this metadata to a UI bundle

You go to Administration -> User Interfaces, and select the right editor.
    Choose the right Screen in which you want to add the metadata.
    In the Screen content, move the metadata from the list in the left side, to the right side.
    Also, you can moove from right to left, the metadata that you don't need (such as LCSH library).
    Save.

4. Test the new display

Go to an object (or the other element for which you custom the UI).
    Normally, you should see the new metadata with the right list.

Bye!

• Thank you for your suggestion! I will try it!