Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Welcome to the CollectiveAccess support forum! Here the developers and community answer questions related to use of the software. Please include the following information in every new issue posted here:

1. Version of the software that is used, along with browser and version

2. If the issue pertains to Providence, Pawtucket or both

3. What steps you’ve taken to try to resolve the issue

4. Screenshots demonstrating the issue

5. The relevant sections of your installation profile or configuration including the codes and settings defined for your local elements.

If your question pertains to data import or export, please also include:

1. Data sample

2. Your mapping

Answers may be delayed for posts that do not include sufficient information.

Documentation/examples for Places?

I was looking for examples how "Places" are used in practice. Unfortunately, I could not really find anything in the Wiki - and when I checked the demo installation of providence I saw that there Places seem to be disabled there completely :(

I'm particularly uncertain about how to use the "DC Coverage Authority"...

I'm be very grateful any hints, documentation or examples :D

Comments

• edited June 23

Hi,
    Places can be used to reference buildings, rooms, amphitheatres, ways, campus...
    For example, I use them to describe places that have the name of a (localy) known people, related to physical entities and/or organizations. Places can be linked to objects, for example a telescope, a sculpture, an architectural element... Places can be linked to Occurrences such as exhibition, concert, laying the foundation stone, inauguration...
    Actually I have some issues with my Apache server, but if you are lucky, you can visit my site (in french): https://collections.univ-pau.fr/pub/index.php (menu "Parcourir" -> "Lieux")

• Thanks darrigan!

Yes, the way you describe the intention and usage of Places is exactly what I'm looking for :smile:
    Right now it seems I ain't lucky: Your site won't load :disappointed:

btw: Issues with your Apache server?
    Maybe I can help! What's the matter? :smiley:

• Try again, now, or later :D
    I think I have a caching problem... My system administrator is trying some changes.

• Hi Peter,
    Now I think that my site is stable enough for you to visit. ;)
    It is in french, so try to install a translation plugin in your browser.

• Thanks!

Looks very nice! Would you mind telling me if (and how) you're using the DC Coverage field in your places?
    So far I see "title", "description" and relationships.

• Hi Peter,

DC Coverage is for the location in space and time.

So for places (buildings, rooms, ways...) I use the "georeference" metadata (with the map).
    For example, here: https://collections.univ-pau.fr/pub/index.php/Detail/places/30 : zoom in the map to see the geolocation of this building.

And if one needs to add the dates of construction/demolition, the "lifespan" metadata could be used. (But I never used it for places...)

• Thanks.

The geolocation is pretty clear. I'm just trying to understand Places a bit beyond places that could have an exact coordinate. The intention is to use it for a historical research database where sometimes it's a country or region in a different time, so with different borders - or even referred places with unknown exactness, and so on...

I'm surprised that there's no official documentation on Places.