Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Welcome to the CollectiveAccess support forum! Here the developers and community answer questions related to use of the software. Please include the following information in every new issue posted here:

1. Version of the software that is used, along with browser and version

2. If the issue pertains to Providence, Pawtucket or both

3. What steps you’ve taken to try to resolve the issue

4. Screenshots demonstrating the issue

5. The relevant sections of your installation profile or configuration including the codes and settings defined for your local elements.

If your question pertains to data import or export, please also include:

1. Data sample

2. Your mapping

Answers may be delayed for posts that do not include sufficient information.

New Person Needs Help

Hi,

I am a new to Collective Access.

Currently, I volunteer at an animal conservation non-profit.
I've been tasked to look into putting together a data base for them.

This organization works primarily with photos and videos. They need to location this information easily for research purposes.

I've never done anything like this before.
This is not my forte at all.
Can anyone offer some guidance?

Questions:
A. I am trying to to determine if this program is a good fit for my organization.

B. Has anyone found it helpful/timesaver to download one of the samples shown in the configuration library?

C. I took a look at the example of the configuration downloads, and I have no idea what I'm looking at. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Cathleen

Comments

• The configuration library / installation profiles are the guides that CollectiveAccess uses to denote what database components to be installed, which database tables are related, the types of fields used, etc. Therefore, what you are seeing in the configuration library is an XML mark up which switches to turn on or off for a particular installation as well as which names are given to the database fields.

Looking at the different installation options is a great way to see what is available and how others have tackled similar problems in managing the data.

I would recommend setting up a test server try out various configuration libraries or installation profiles. In addition, the test server is a great place to teach others how to use the system as well as to experiment customizing the database. You can try out several of the installation profiles/configuration profile by simply editing this line in setup.php :

if (!defined('CA_ALLOW_INSTALLER_TO_OVERWRITE_EXISTING_INSTALLS')) {
    define('CA_ALLOW_INSTALLER_TO_OVERWRITE_EXISTING_INSTALLS', false);
    }

from false to true . This will allow you to go back to the browser and reinstall over the old database. As the installation page states, you will lose all data if you overwrite the installation, so remember to change it back to 'false' once you pick the best profile for your needs.