I have 1.7.9 installed on a test system.
The search function returns zero results.
I have tried reindexing and searched trough the conf files for settings to change, but have not yet found a way to get search results.
SqlSearch or Elastic?
Is there any content in the ca_sql_search_word_index table?
Yes, 1954198 rows
Can I see this system? If there are rows in the index it makes no sense that nothing is found.
How can I send you the details for the system? (FTP settings and IP adress, username and Password I assume)
Do I use the email@example.com mailadress?
In the meantime I found that the behaviour (no search results) startet with 1.7.9RC4.
In 1.7.9RC3 I did still get normal results.
The behaviour also occurs in 1.7.10 both as a clean new install (without custom files) and after adding my custom local CONF files
I did sinds you the systemen info by mail with the subject: Support: 1.7.9 Search results
Got it thanks.
I am still trying to find the reason I do not get any search results.
Next step was to install a clean new Collective access 1.7.10 installation with default profile and standard locale "en_US"
It was installed on my local WAMP server. I do not use Elastic search (could that be the issue?).
There are some search results, but they are irratic.
I seem to get all objects for instance (when searching only for a specific word in one of the titles) or none at all.
No results when searching for the artists name (related entity) or storage location.
Does nobody else have issues with the search results as of 1.7.9RC4 and up (1.7.10)?
It's not related to Elastic. I was never able to get access to this system... I will try again.
That is unfortunate. I have send you new system info by email.(mainly a new password, I expect that was the issue)
Glad to know it is not related to elastic, so I do not have to search in that direction anymore.
I did check the login this time (ashamed I did not do that last time, I usually do)
I've recently updated to 1.7.10 & we are having the same problem with searching. I've run the the rebuild search index, but free text searches do not bring up any results. I've checked my ca_sql_search_word_index table & I have more than 4 million entries in there.
We are going to push out an update (1.7.11) shortly that resolves this issue generally. It's an issue with certain configurations that result in words being indexed improperly (incorrect tokenization).
1.7.11 is now up. You can download it at https://github.com/collectiveaccess/providence/releases/tag/1.7.11. Don't forget to reindex your database once you install the update.