1000+ Media File Uploads

Hello,

Our installation is part of a larger organization that handles the maintenance and hosting for a number of institutions so we don't have access directly to the server. I have 1000+ media files to upload and have been working with the larger organization to get those files uploaded in a batch. It's been almost a month and they're having a bit of trouble figuring out how to do it. I'm wondering if there is some way for us to batch upload without direct access to the server? I can't seem to do it otherwise.

Thanks!

Comments

• Hi,

Usually bulk upload of media would be via a file share (ie. a Windows file share using SAMBA or AFP via NetATalk) or an Secure FTP (SFTP) login. For the setup you're on, SFTP would be the logical choice. We can ask MAS if they're ok with setting that up. I'll write to them. SFTP involves setting up logins directly on the server, and sometimes people aren't thrilled at the prospect.

If SFTP isn't possible drag-and-drop upload of media to the media importer can be set up. The facility in the current release is part of the media import. In the file browser, you can drag-and-drop files into the currently selected directory and they'll upload there. (This only works if the importer's configured directory is writable by the web server user). Upload is via the usual in-browser system and doesn't always work well with very large files though.

There's a newer, still experimental, interface that uses the TUS protocol (https://github.com/tus/tus-js-client) to upload very large files, and large sets of files. It is able to upload multiple files simultaneously, restart interrupted uploads and track progress of uploads. ItThis might be something MAS could use; we can explore the idea of it with them.

seth

• edited February 17

Seth,

That'd be awesome if you're able to work something out with MAS. We're always working on digitization so not having to upload images one by one will be a major bonus.

Thanks!

Edit: I wanted to note that the files themselves are quite small, ~100kb each.

• Hi,

We're going to set up both the TUS-based interface and SFTP for you. Contact me at seth@collectiveaccess.org and we can discuss further.

seth