Profile for Test Cases

I'm assisting our Research and Collections staff in a possible migration from MIMSY to CA. We have just installed providence. I'm having a hard time finding any info on the profile for test cases. How can we work with this to see which installation profile would better suit our needs?

I see that you cannot switch profiles after you've begun. If we wanted to decide on one (say DublinCore) would I just dump the DB and start the installation process again?

Comments

• Speaking with our team I learned "Dublin Core would be used for our History and Anthropology Collections and Darwin Core would be used for our Biological collections"

Is there a way to use separate standards depending on Collection type?

• You can find the standard profiles in the release. There are many project-specific profiles in the "develop" branch on GitHub. They are in the install/profiles/xml directory.

Profiles are just templates for the installer, defining available fields, authority lists, editing layout, access control and more. They're useful for capturing a system setup for reuse, and when doing large scale system design/configuration they're generally the most efficient means of iterating on the details of a setup as they let you quickly access all aspects of a configuration.

The installer uses a profile to initialize a new system into a defined state. As the profile is just a starting template, you can't force your system to use a new profile after installation without wiping whatever is already in the system. Applying a new profile onto an existing system would modify the metadata elements, authority lists and other structures that any data already present in the system depend upon.

You can, however, modify most anything after installation using the web configuration interfaces. You can also define "partial profiles", which are files in the same format as a full profile, but containing only desired changes rather than a full system specification. While can certainly trash data with a partial profile or the web configuration interface if you modify elements with data in them in certain ways, the possibility of doing so is minimized with the smaller scope of these methods.

By default, once you install a profile the installer will refuse to install over it unless you drop and recreate the database. You can relax this restriction by setting the __CA_ALLOW_INSTALLER_TO_OVERWRITE_EXISTING_INSTALLS__ option in setup.php to true. This option will enable an "overwrite existing system" option in the installer. Obviously, don't keep this enabled on a system where you care about the data, as anyone with access to the installer will be able to erase your database. It's very handy if you're doing many reinstalls for testing or development though.

You can certainly mix standards in a single profile. It's just a matter of setting up the fields, relationships and user interfaces to work in the desired manner.

seth