Media import - matching options and preferred labels

I have some questions on the media import.

1.) Is matching only possible via identifier?

In Providence and in the caUtils script it seems only to be possible via identifier. The identifiers are auto-generated in our setup and we would ideally need matching on the preferred label or a custom field.

2.) Is it possible to control the setting of the preferred label for the object?

When importing an image with name 123.jpg, the preferred label of the object will be set to 123.jpg. Can this be configured to be set to 123?

3.) Is it possible to control the setting of the preferred label for the media represenation?

When importing an image with name 123.jpg, the preferred label of the media representation will be set to "[BLANK]". Can this be set to a different value?

4.) What exactly is the difference between type "back" and "front" for media representations?

I could not find anything in the Wiki on this topic. If there is a Wiki page, please point me to it.

Thank you

Comments

1. Yes, only identifier.
    2. I'm about to push a change (done for another user) that will let you control preferred labels for the target. You'll see it in the develop branch later today. The patch allows the label to be set to file name, file name without extension, identifier, the "blank" value (typically [BLANK] but could be set to whatever you want) or arbitrary as-entered text.
    3. Not currently, but if you really need that it wouldn't be hard to extend #2 to handle this.
    4. They're just example types for representation recores. They work the same as types for other records. "Front" and "back" come from archival collections where both front and back of an item (typically paper) is imaged. You can configure them to be whatever you want and have as many or few as you wish. Representation record fields can be made contingent upon a given type.
  • Great, thank you for the clarification!

2. Perfect, I will check it out.

3. Good to know, but on second thought I don't think that it will currently be necessary for our purposes.