"Default dashboard" link -- new functionality?

[Providence 1.7.11]

Just recently I noticed the Default dashboard link in the top left of the dashboard -- is that a new addition? If so, is there a new function to define default dashboards? Where can I find it?

Currently, the link does nothing but completely clear the dashboard. Which is not exactly user-friendly, because this happens without prompting: one wrong click and the complete dashboard configuration is gone.

Comments

• You can set default dashboard contents in app.conf using the dashboard_default_layout setting.

• I'll second that the instant action, no confirm/cancel is a bit user-unfriendly.

• Thanks, Seth, but this setting needs documentation: How do I assign widgets to the dashboard_default_layout setting?

• edited July 2

This is what's in app.conf:

# Force a default layout for new user's dashboards. Specify the dashboard layout

# by column – the dashboard has two columns referenced as "1" and "2". Each column

# must have a list of widget codes. Widget codes are the identical to the directory names

# for each installed widget in the app/widgets directory. Codes for the standard

# widgets are: 

#

# advancedSearchForm, clock, count, lastLogins, links, lolCat, message, notifications,

# randomObject, recentChanges, recentComments, recentRegistrations, recentTags, 

# recentlyCreated, recordsByStatus, rssViewer, savedSearches, searchBySet, trackProcessing,

# watchedItems

#

# Other widget codes may available. Check the app/widgets directory for a list of all

# available dashboard widgets.

dashboard_default_layout = {

columns = {

1 = [count],

2 = []

}

}

• Ah, sorry, I overlooked that, as I had looked in our local version of app.conf that is still from the old version 1.7.8.