Lots of little Issues with Pawtucket2

I am having a hard time customizing Pawtucket2 and I have the distinct impression that certain things just do not work properly yet. Here is a selection of the issues I have not been able to figure out. You can check out some of these issues at https://theoldtownmuseum.org/Catalog (which right now only show a small subset of our actual collection)

• When I display all objects and go to map view by clicking on the globe button, the tags appear, but there is no map. Not sure what is going here.
  • For some reason, the status and access status facets are recognized for the entities, but not for collections (and I suspect that is true for occurrences as well). Both facets are clearly defined in app/conf/browse.conf, but without relating a collection to an entity, Pawtucket says there are no facets for collections.
  • When looking at the listing of a collection, I find it somewhat odd that the collection itself is listed as a related collection. I have two movie handbill collections and whether I make them related or not, P2 always gives the collection itself as the only related collection.
  • Also, in that same overview of either collection I would like to change "related person" to "related entity". However, the only place that I can find that prints person for entity is in app/conf/browse.conf and changing that line does not change "related person" to "related entity".
  • As for entities, each entity in my entity listing has two parenthesis () behind its name. This suggests that there should be a life span. Again, however, no information from the life box shows up between the parentheses. Is this a bug or am I overlooking something?
  • Finally, now that I have defined a few collections, I am wondering why they do not show up under collections menu option. Again, is this a bug or am I overlooking something?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Eisso

Comments

• When I display all objects and go to map view by clicking on the globe button, the tags appear, but there is no map. Not sure what is going here.

You're running an old version that uses WikiMedia tiles. Unfortunately WikiMedia stopped providing tiles, so you must use a new tile server. Either update to the latest release or reset leaflet_base_layer in app.conf to https://{s}.tile.openstreetmap.org/{z}/{x}/{y}.png. The will use OpenStreetMap tiles (there are others out there if you want to Google for them).

Eg:

leaflet_base_layer = https://{s}.tile.openstreetmap.org/{z}/{x}/{y}.png

For some reason, the status and access status facets are recognized for the entities, but not for collections (and I suspect that is true for occurrences as well). Both facets are clearly defined in app/conf/browse.conf, but without relating a collection to an entity, Pawtucket says there are no facets for collections.

When I browse for collections on your install I see facets (entities, status, access). The access facet doesn't make much sense in a public facing web site unless you disable access checks. With access checks enforced (the default) you'll only ever see records with access = public.

When looking at the listing of a collection, I find it somewhat odd that the collection itself is listed as a related collection. I have two movie handbill collections and whether I make them related or not, P2 always gives the collection itself as the only related collection. 

Either your theme is wrong, or you're using an old theme where at one point this was a known issue.

Also, in that same overview of either collection I would like to change "related person" to "related entity". However, the only place that I can find that prints person for entity is in app/conf/browse.conf and changing that line does not change "related person" to "related entity".

Look at the collection detail view. It's in your theme under views/Details/ca_collections_default_html.php

As for entities, each entity in my entity listing has two parenthesis () behind its name. This suggests that there should be a life span. Again, however, no information from the life box shows up between the parentheses. Is this a bug or am I overlooking something?

That's meant to be the relationship type for the related entity.. The display template is probably incorrect.

Finally, now that I have defined a few collections, I am wondering why they do not show up under collections menu option. Again, is this a bug or am I overlooking something?

You must set the type of collection to display on the landing page in collections.conf. It must be a valid collection type for your install.

seth

• As always, Seth, thank you for your quick response. I managed to resolve all issues I listed. Here are a few more:

• The image viewer does not work. When I click on an image, the usual overlay appears, but there is no image (check it out at theoldtownmuseum.org/Catalog). It this perhaps a tile viewer issue as well?
    • I am not clear on the best way to control what facets can be used for browsing of object. Specifically, if I do not want the "has_media" facet to show up, how do I go about that? I thought that making changes to availableFacets=[] in my theme's browse.conf would do the job, but putting in  availableFacets = [entity_facet, collection_facet, place_facet, occurrence_facet] still has the has_media facet show up.
    • I am not clear on the role of the files in the conf directory of my theme versus those in the default. Just to see what happens, I renamed assets.conf to assets1.conf. Initially it did not change anything, but all of a sudden the top-left logo blew up to take up most of my screen. I thought I was supposed to only put the files to which I want to make changes in my theme? Or does a conf file with a name not corresponding to one in the default theme cause issues?

BTW, I don't think I have an old version of Pawtucket2. I cloned it less than a week ago.

Thanks,

Eisso

• The image viewer does not work. When I click on an image, the usual overlay appears, but there is no image (check it out at theoldtownmuseum.org/Catalog). It this perhaps a tile viewer issue as well?

This looks like an issue with your server. Is the tilepics directory with your media directory accessible to Pawtucket? Loading a tile URL directly using a URL like this:

http://www.theoldtownmuseum.org/Catalog/viewers/apps/tilepic.php?p=http://www.theoldtownmuseum.org/Catalog/media/collectiveaccess/tilepics/0/18630_ca_object_representations_media_4_tilepic.tpc&t=33

return an error indicating it can't find the file.

I am not clear on the best way to control what facets can be used for browsing of object. Specifically, if I do not want the "has_media" facet to show up, how do I go about that? I thought that making changes to availableFacets=[] in my theme's browse.conf would do the job, but putting in availableFacets = [entity_facet, collection_facet, place_facet, occurrence_facet] still has the has_media facet show up.

Try removing it from the browse.conf file for you theme. The theme file inherits facets from the stock browse.conf in app/conf/browse.conf, so you may want to set the facets explicitly in your theme browse.conf.

I am not clear on the role of the files in the conf directory of my theme versus those in the default. Just to see what happens, I renamed assets.conf to assets1.conf. Initially it did not change anything, but all of a sudden the top-left logo blew up to take up most of my screen. I thought I was supposed to only put the files to which I want to make changes in my theme? Or does a conf file with a name not corresponding to one in the default theme cause issues?

Entries in like-named theme config files override values in the default theme config files. Anything that's not set in your theme config or the default config falls back to the application-level config files in app/conf

• Hi Seth,

Pawtucket has access to the CA media folder through a symbolic link (Pawtucket/media -> CA/media). Permissions in tilepics are either 775 (the one you checked is like that) or 644. Shouldn't that be fine? I did have a similar (?) issue two years ago in CA, where UniversalViewer worked, but TileViewer did not. You had me replace a piece of code and TileViewer has worked fine since then. Could this be related? When I replace the viewer with UniversalViewer in my theme's browse.conf, I cannot even display the in-page picture. All I get is what looks like a spinning square inside a black frame.

As for excluding facets, do you mean that I should just copy the ca_objects part of the stock browse.conf to my theme's browse.conf and remove the facets I do not want? I know that commenting out the facets directly in the stock browse.conf works, but I would prefer to have all customization done in my theme. I am just wondering what the availableFacets on line 15 of my theme's browse.conf is for.

Thanks,

Eisso

• In this case it's the tile server not finding the tilepic files. I don't remember what your issue was two years ago. Are you running this on Linux? If so, is selinux enabled?

Regarding browse, copy the table-specific browse configuration from app/conf/browse.conf into your theme browse.conf (Eg. for object browses the block defined for ca_objects) and then customize there.

• Hi Seth,

My website account does come with Linux (Debian/Stretch), but no sign of SELinux. However, I think I know what the issue is with Pawtucket not being able to find the tile pic files:

1 => FYI, Providence is in $webroot/CollectiveAccess, while Pawtucket is in $webroot/Catalog with a symbolic link $webroot/Catalog/media -> ../CollectiveAccess/media.

2 => Now, per your suggested check:

http://www.theoldtownmuseum.org/Catalog/viewers/apps/tilepic.php?p=http://www.theoldtownmuseum.org/Catalog/media/collectiveaccess/tilepics/0/18630_ca_object_representations_media_4_tilepic.tpc&t=33

the error message I get is "invalid file". Clearly, this message comes from the loop

if (file_exists("{$media_root}{$ps_filepath}.tpc")) {

header("Content-type: image/jpeg");

$vs_output = caTilepicGetTileQuickly($media_root."/".$ps_filepath.".tpc", $pn_tile);

header("Content-Length: ".strlen($vs_output));

print $vs_output;

exit;

} else {

die("Invalid file");

}

in tilepic.php.

3 => To see what happens here, I had die print the expansion of $media_root and $ps_filepath. As it turns out $media_root expands to $webroot, not to $webroot/CollectiveAccess, as I would expect.

4 => As $ps_filepath does give me /media/collectiveaccess/tilepics/0/18630_ca_object_representations_media_4_tilepic.tpc as I would expect, their concatenation is not a valid path. Hence the error message. Also, it appears the "/" in the third line in the loop might not be necessary, but I could be wrong on that.

Am I right in assuming this is a bug and not a feature?

Thanks,

Eisso

• What does your setup.php file look like?

• Hi Seth,

My setup.php is attached (as setup.txt). I replaced all configuration changes that I made with four asterisks. While configuring setup.php, I also removed a line in the theme setup, as I am not ready yet to have different themes for different devices. As far as I remember those were all the changes I made. I did notice that the setup file says it is for Pawtucket2 version 1.7.9, even though I definitely have version 1.7.11 installed (per version.php). This, however, might be irrelevant.

Eisso

• edited July 13

Can you try adding this line to your setup.php?

define("__CA_URL_ROOT__", "/Catalog");

• Seth,

Putting in define("__CA_URL_ROOT__", "/Catalog"); does not make any difference. Just to see what would happen, I also created a symbolic link $webroot/media -> $webroot/CollectiveAccess/media and that made the tiles appear. However, as you can check by going to the site, there is another problem with that, as the tiles are not all loaded and only the top part comes into focus. How much of the top comes into focus seems to vary. I suspect this could be a memory or tmp directory issue.

BTW, thanks for trying to make Pawtucket2 work with my setup. I could go with the preferred setup, but then my public access catalog would have a rather unwieldy address. Of course, I could set up a symbolic link, which I prefer not to, or use virtual directories, but in that case I run into problems with my WordPress setup as https://theoldtowmuseum.org really is send to $webroot/WordPress by means of a rewrite routine that I do not quite understand. The setup that I have now seemed cleaner.

Eisso

• I've just pushed a 1.7.12 release that has changes to deal with what I believe your path issue is. Let me know if it doesn't work for you.

• Hi Seth,

With 1.7.11 installed, Pawtucket2 does find the tilepic files. Thanks! However, the issue that I noticed with my hack solution persists. The pictures show fine in Providence, but not in Pawtucket. I think it is a tmp or cache issue. The first time I pulled up an image it showed fine, but after that first image only some of the tiles of any pictures get into focus. See attached screenshot, which goes with

https://www.theoldtownmuseum.org/Catalog/index.php/Detail/objects/25

I do not seem to be able to get Pawtucket to load any more of the picture. One thing I have not played with is emptying out the tmp directory, but I imagine the effect will not be any different.

Not sure whether this is relevant or not, but I have had issues with processing images before. The problem then was that Imagemagick used a tmp directory that was not in my home directory and that had a limited amount of space available. Having my provider move that tmp directory to my home directory solved that issue.

Eisso

1258 x 633 - 904K
  • edited July 14

Try clearing your browser cache. You may have the old viewer stuck in your cache. The image loads fine for me.

• That worked. Thanks!

Eisso