Installation profile with empty base.xml or without base.xml ?

[Providence 1.7.11]

If I want to install an exported installation profile in a new CA instance, what is the best way to handle base.xml?

I tried to use a virtually empty base.xml in the following form:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<profile xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="profile.xsd" useForConfiguration="0">
  <profileName>base_empty</profileName>
  <profileDescription>Empty Base Profile</profileDescription>
</profile>

But that generated an error message when installing. So the question: what is the minimum information base.xml must contain to be valid?

Or can we just remove the base="base" attribute of the <profile> element in the installation profile?

Comments

• You don't need a base profile, but if you don't use one your profile must define all required values. There are a lot of them. So it's usually a good idea to use the base profile.

• Yes, I know. The question was: If I have a complete profile (e.g. the profile export from an existing CA installation), how do I import this profile into another CA installation. A base.xml does not exist then. The question is purely technical. Because without a base.xml, the installation process ends up with an error.

• You do not need a base profile. You do need the values that it sets in most cases.