More Questions

Still working on customizing Pawtucket. I am confused on a few things:

• How does any access control to Pawtucket work? I would like to be able to disable registration and set up a few users myself. Can't Pawtucket be set up such that all Providence users are automatically Pawtucket users?
  • It looks like registration can only be disabled in the main app.conf. Should I not be able to disable registration in my theme too?
  • Is there an easy way to customize the menu? I am trying to integrate Pawtucket as much as I can with my (WordPress) main website and would like a home button that gets me back to my site's homepage
  • FINALLY, the reason why I want watermarking is that I do not want to make it too easy to download high quality pictures from the site without referencing the source. To get there, I changed the image download for anyone to logged_in the first lines in my theme's detail.conf, which definitely worked. Initially, I took another approach and tried to change the download version by changing from original to large in the appropriate line of my theme's app.conf. However, this did not seem to have any effect and neither did just putting [] (and, yes, I did uncomment the line). Is there more that needs to be changed?

As always,

Thanks a lot,

Eisso

Comments

• Hiya, I can't answer all of your questions, but I can try and help with my limited knowledge:

1. Not sure about this question
    2. Looking at app.conf in my themes/default/conf folder, it seems like the "Configuration for registration security method" is copied directly from the pawtucket/app/conf/app.conf file. If you want to disable registration, I don't see why you wouldn't just do it on app.conf, as I don't think that file is updated often, but if you want to transfer it to your theme, you could probably just copy it from app.conf to the themes/default/conf/app.conf file, as I believe themes override anything in main folders... Put that, though, in your customized theme, though.
    3. I've just spent the last several hours customizing the menu, and the answer is yes! (somewhat). In yourtheme/views/pageformat copy in the pageheader.php file from the default theme. The navigation tabs are coded like this:

<li <?php print ($this->request->getController() == "About") ? 'class="active"' : ''; ?>><?php print caNavLink($this->request, _t("About"), "", "", "About", "Index"); ?></li>

For a home page, I've tested this on my own page and it works:

<li <?php print ($this->request->getController() == "Home") ? 'class="active"' : ''; ?>><?php print caNavLink($this->request, _t("Home"), "Index", "", "", ""); ?></li>

Those extra "" are basically regulators in a way. If you wanted to link something that was index.php/About/SpecificBiography then it would be "", "", "About", "SpecificBiography", where I believe the first two are essentially placeholders for pawtucket/index.php

4. I am not entirely sure about this, but I do remember seeing in the documentation pages that there's a way to automatically watermark images: https://docs.collectiveaccess.org/wiki/Image_Watermarking

Hope this helps

• Hi maggiekarp,

You are most likely right about 2; I will try that. As for 3., thank you for clarifying the code. However, looking more closely at how caNavLink is defined, it seems to me that I can only create menu links that reference addresses in the Pawtucket installation directory. In my case, I want to link to an address that is outside of my pawtucket directory. Specifically, my Pawtucket installation is in [website_root]/Catalog and I want a link to [website_root]. But then, I am not much of a coder and I am most certainly not sufficiently versed in PHP to always see what can and what cannot be easily modified. With regard to 4., the watermarking works fine, it is just that I do not seem to be able to set what version to download. Not allowing any download at all does the the job for me, as a user then can only download the "large" version of any image through "save image as".

Thanks,

Eisso

• Hmm, I think you could create a symlink to that directory. Just like how we had to do symlinks for media, you could do the same for the website_root (I'm using Linux, though, I don't know how it works for other systems)

I think the code:

ln -s /[website_root] pawtucket/themes/mythemes/

could work, with modifications (for example, I think you might need to include the entire directory (ie. Home/User/var/www or whatnot). Then you'd possibly be able to link it just like how you can with the index? In fact, I think if you symlink'ed the website root to the theme folder that contains the about page, it should make it even easier.

I'm not entirely sure about the watermarking issue. I would say it might be due to the download settings in the config file? In my mind, there should just be one version of the picture that automatically downloads, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

• Hi,

You are right, your solution should work, although I would say it is still a work-around to achieve something that I think should be more straightforward. But then, l also realize this is a customization for which not too many people will feel the need. My solution was to tweak my Apache2 configuration by putting in a redirect in my root .htaccess like so

redirect /Catalog/index.php/back/index.php /index.php

and then to add a menu button pointing to /Catalog/index.php/back/index.php in pageHeader.php. That did the job too and should require one fewer post-update step. I am also not a big fan of symbolic links.

Thanks,

Eisso