Could not create subdirectory for uploaded file in /database/media/collectiveaccess/images

edited December 2021 in General Support

I am trying to upload PDF objects to providence but it gives me a permissions error. I am able to click on choose file and upload the file. However, when I click on the save button it gives me the following error:

There are errors preventing information in specific fields from being saved as noted below.

Could not create subdirectory for uploaded file in /database/media/collectiveaccess/images. Please ask your administrator to check the permissions of your media directory.

I recursively set the permissions for the path in the error to 775, but the error won't go away. What else can I do?

Comments

• Hi,

You'll need to be sure the directories and subdirectories are writable by whoever user the web server runs under. On CentOS/RedHat this will usually be apache. On Ubuntu/Debian this'll usually be www-data.

Seth

• Hi Seth,

All directories and subdirectories are writable by apache. What else can I look at?

• I'd make sure your web server is running as apache. If it is, then check if the server is running with SELinux or AppArmour enabled. If either of those is enabled you may need to add rules to allow Apache write access to the media directories, especially if you've symlinked them.

Seth

• My server is running Apache, but SELinux is disabled.