Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to the CollectiveAccess support forum! Here the developers and community answer questions related to use of the software. Please include the following information in every new issue posted here:

  1. Version of the software that is used, along with browser and version

  2. If the issue pertains to Providence, Pawtucket or both

  3. What steps you’ve taken to try to resolve the issue

  4. Screenshots demonstrating the issue

  5. The relevant sections of your installation profile or configuration including the codes and settings defined for your local elements.

If your question pertains to data import or export, please also include:

  1. Data sample

  2. Your mapping

Answers may be delayed for posts that do not include sufficient information.

Import Mapping Help (Solved)

edited August 2017 in Troubleshooting
Attached is an import mapping for a small library . Everything imports to the  correct place except for the "author" . (mapping column 3) .At the moment this only consists of the surname. Running the importer ends with no errors but when I browse the library objects the related entities field is blank. I have tried various options under ca_table _elements with no success, I am obviously doing something wrong - can you please help


  • Hi Eric,

    In your refinery you must specify a relationshipType in addition to an entityType. The relationship type codes for object<=>entity relationships can be found under Manage-Administration-Relationship Types.

    Also, be sure that both entityType and relationshipType reference their codes (identifiers) rather than their labels.

  • Hi Jonathan,
     I edited my refinery as advised but it still did not work but after also changing the ca_table_element by removing the preferred_lables.surname and just leaving it at ca_entities the import worked fine.
    Your help is much appreciated.

  • Yes, I should have mentioned that the ca_table_element column should contain only "ca_entities". Glad you got it to work.
  • Hi again Jonathan,
    More mapping woes - I have been stumbling around in the dark trying to sort out my object related entity mapping.
    When I use the mapping as discussed in my previous post I get the expected result. However when I change the entitysplitter refinery to refer to column numbers like  entityType:"individual" to entityType:"^9" and relationshipType:"author" to relationshipType:"^10" I get the related entity shown with empty brackets  name()

    I am also not sure as to how to map prefix, suffix, forename, middlename and other_fornames. I have mad lots of attempts but have not got it right. My mapping and test data files are attached. Hope I have explained my problem clearly. Once more I would appreciate help,

  • Hi Eric,

    Do the values in ^9 and ^10 match existing type and relationshipType codes rather than names? These match on identifier, not the label. The identifier for entity type "Individual" is likely to be "ind" for example.

  • Hi Jonathan
    The small things trip you up - I am used to spelling organization as organisation so that caused the first problem as far as entityType was concerned. I re-wrote my test data and made sure that there were no hidden characters in the relationshipType column and ran the importer again and that fixed the problem.
    Can I now add prefix, suffix etc into the same refinery or is this data handled differently.
    Thanks a ton.

  • Hi again Jonathan.
    Attached is my revised mapping but columns 3,5,6,7 and 8 don't seem to work. The mapping of column 4 ca_entities puts the surname into the container of the Entity editor but I can't seem to get the prefix etc., to map there. Your advice would be most appreciated.
  • Hi Eric, the target of your mapping is ca_objects (Libary_type), not ca_entities. The entities are getting created indirectly via the entitySplitter refinery so everything you to set needs to be in there. See the options for that here:

    Note that the entitySplitter is designed to "split" apart names (hence the name). If you had a single cell containing an entire name like "Kathleen Ann Anderson" the splitter would know automatically to put "Kathleen" into first name "Ann" into middle name and "Anderson" into last name.

    If, on the other hand, your source data has forenames, middlenames, and last names broken out into separate columns, you would actually use an entityJoiner, which "joins" names from various sources into one.

    entityJoiner documentation can be found here:

  • Hello Jonathan,
    All my entity data is in separate columns so I tried the entity joiner first but could not get it to work properly hence my other abortive attempts. I went back to playing with the joiner and eventually found what I was doing wrong. My import is now working perfectly.
    Many thanks for your help and patience.
Sign In or Register to comment.