Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to the CollectiveAccess support forum! Here the developers and community answer questions related to use of the software. Please include the following information in every new issue posted here:

1. Version of the software that is used, along with browser and version

2. If the issue pertains to Providence, Pawtucket or both

3. What steps you’ve taken to try to resolve the issue

4. Screenshots demonstrating the issue

5. The relevant sections of your installation profile or configuration including the codes and settings defined for your local elements.

If your question pertains to data import or export, please also include:

1. Data sample

2. Your mapping

Answers may be delayed for posts that do not include sufficient information.

Trouble Installing Providence

Hello,

I am working for a small museum and would like to use Collective Access for our modest collection. I have installed PHP, Apache, and MySQL already. In addition to creating a database. I also get a "It works" when I type "local host" in my url.

I downloaded Providence and make a copy of the setup.php document as instructed and made edits to personalized it to my organization's need. I am stuck on the following step: "In a web browser navigate to the web-based installer. If the URL for your installation server is http://www.myCollectiveaccessSite.org then the URL to the installer is http://www.myCollectiveaccessSite.org/install."

I honestly do not know what this means and when I click on the links provided, it simply takes me to a third source search engine that can't find anything. I am assuming this has to do with the setup.php and I forgot to fill something in.

If anyone could help me, I would be most appreciative.

• Bea

Comments

• edited March 12

If you have installed the program on a local machine (e.g a computer in your office), the url most likely will be: localhost/providence/install

• edited March 13

Hello. Thank you so much for responding. I get an 404 error message when I do that. So, now I am simply assuming I miss a step while installing/connecting providence to my work computer/database. I will be reviewing my codes and see if I can find my error. If it's not too much trouble, here is my setup.php. If you, or anyone, can direct me towards my error, I will be grateful.

The following settings allow CollectiveAccess to connect to its database.

These settings should have been given to you by your system administrator or hosting provider.

#

CA_DB_HOST = Database server host name (often 'localhost')

#
    if (!defined("CA_DB_HOST")) {
    define("CA_DB_HOST", 'localhost');
    }

CA_DB_USER = Database login user name

#
    if (!defined("CA_DB_USER")) {
    define("CA_DB_USER", 'bonitamuseum');
    }

CA_DB_PASSWORD = Database login password

#
    if (!defined("CA_DB_PASSWORD")) {
    define("CA_DB_PASSWORD", 'bonita');
    }

CA_DB_DATABASE = The name of your CollectiveAccess database

#
    if (!defined("CA_DB_DATABASE")) {
    define("CA_DB_DATABASE", 'collection');
    }

#

CA_APP_DISPLAY_NAME = the name of your system for display purposes

#

This value will be used on emails, on the login screen, in window titles, etc.

#
    if (!defined("CA_APP_DISPLAY_NAME")) {
    define("CA_APP_DISPLAY_NAME", "collection");
    }

• CA_DB_USER, CA_DB_PASSWORD, CA_DB_DATABASE are set as custom values for your mysql database. Have you set up the mysql database?

• Given the 404 Error, you might also want to check that Providence is installed in the server directory. Under Debian and Ubuntu systems, usually that's /var/www/html/ and for Arch it would be /srv/html/ iirc.

What operating system are you using?

• I have set up a database in mysql named "collection" and the user being "bonitamuseum."

I think the OS is Window 10 Pro.

I will double check with the Providence installation. I installed it in the local disk but given the "error," it's basically the wrong place.

• When you downloaded CA, where did you put the application files? What directory did you place them in?

• I placed the files in the computer's local disk. So, it's C:\providence.

• Do you have WAMP installed on that computer to get the webserver running? If so, you will want to move the folder to C:\wamp\www\providence . I think XAMPP has a similar file structure.