Trouble Installing Providence

Hello,

I am working for a small museum and would like to use Collective Access for our modest collection. I have installed PHP, Apache, and MySQL already. In addition to creating a database. I also get a "It works" when I type "local host" in my url.

I downloaded Providence and make a copy of the setup.php document as instructed and made edits to personalized it to my organization's need. I am stuck on the following step: "In a web browser navigate to the web-based installer. If the URL for your installation server is http://www.myCollectiveaccessSite.org then the URL to the installer is http://www.myCollectiveaccessSite.org/install."

I honestly do not know what this means and when I click on the links provided, it simply takes me to a third source search engine that can't find anything. I am assuming this has to do with the setup.php and I forgot to fill something in.

If anyone could help me, I would be most appreciative.

• Bea

Comments

• edited March 2019

If you have installed the program on a local machine (e.g a computer in your office), the url most likely will be: localhost/providence/install

• edited March 2019

Hello. Thank you so much for responding. I get an 404 error message when I do that. So, now I am simply assuming I miss a step while installing/connecting providence to my work computer/database. I will be reviewing my codes and see if I can find my error. If it's not too much trouble, here is my setup.php. If you, or anyone, can direct me towards my error, I will be grateful.

The following settings allow CollectiveAccess to connect to its database.

These settings should have been given to you by your system administrator or hosting provider.

#

CA_DB_HOST = Database server host name (often 'localhost')

#
    if (!defined("CA_DB_HOST")) {
    define("CA_DB_HOST", 'localhost');
    }

CA_DB_USER = Database login user name

#
    if (!defined("CA_DB_USER")) {
    define("CA_DB_USER", 'bonitamuseum');
    }

CA_DB_PASSWORD = Database login password

#
    if (!defined("CA_DB_PASSWORD")) {
    define("CA_DB_PASSWORD", 'bonita');
    }

CA_DB_DATABASE = The name of your CollectiveAccess database

#
    if (!defined("CA_DB_DATABASE")) {
    define("CA_DB_DATABASE", 'collection');
    }

#

CA_APP_DISPLAY_NAME = the name of your system for display purposes

#

This value will be used on emails, on the login screen, in window titles, etc.

#
    if (!defined("CA_APP_DISPLAY_NAME")) {
    define("CA_APP_DISPLAY_NAME", "collection");
    }

• CA_DB_USER, CA_DB_PASSWORD, CA_DB_DATABASE are set as custom values for your mysql database. Have you set up the mysql database?

• Given the 404 Error, you might also want to check that Providence is installed in the server directory. Under Debian and Ubuntu systems, usually that's /var/www/html/ and for Arch it would be /srv/html/ iirc.

What operating system are you using?

• I have set up a database in mysql named "collection" and the user being "bonitamuseum."

I think the OS is Window 10 Pro.

I will double check with the Providence installation. I installed it in the local disk but given the "error," it's basically the wrong place.

• When you downloaded CA, where did you put the application files? What directory did you place them in?

• I placed the files in the computer's local disk. So, it's C:\providence.

• Do you have WAMP installed on that computer to get the webserver running? If so, you will want to move the folder to C:\wamp\www\providence . I think XAMPP has a similar file structure.

• edited July 2019

Hello,

it's been a while and want to inform everyone that I was able to connect providence. But, I do have a new issue.

I went to line 139 to see the coding there, but I'm afraid it just flew over my head. Any advice?

• You will need to change the database login information in your setup.php file to a valid login for the database you wish to use.